Wednesday, February 2, 2011

THINK BEFORE YOU CALL THE POLICE


I was delivering a “bad debt” paper to a lady in one of the southern counties. It was just before dusk when I arrived at the house, and the difficult lighting made it nearly imposible to see if the lights were on inside.  However, before pressing the doorbell, I listened at the door for sounds in the house. At least two children were playing inside, and the TV was playing as well.  When I rang the door bell, all voices went silent, and the TV was turned off.  I could also tell that a light, which I hadn’t been able to see between the mini-blinds in the window, also went dark. No one came to the door. I rang the doorbell again. When the doorbell was again ignored, I rang for a third time.  And again, no one came to the door.

With no response and knowledge that people were at home, I looked for a phone number for this address and found one.  Much to my surprise the defendant answered the phone.  I told the lady that I was a Texas Civil Process Server and she immediately asked if I was the SOB ringing her doorbell.  I explained that I was and that if she would open the door, I would give her the court documents that were addressed to her.  The lady then stated that she had already called the police. I explained that I would be very happy to wait for the police and that I would be setting in my car in her driveway until they arrived.  After 10 minutes, the police had not arrived so I called her back, asking if she would call the police again as I had other papers to deliver and I needed them to come soon. 

After a few minutes a police car did arrive, and I explained to the officer who I was and what I was doing.  He asked to see the court documents.  After reviewing the Citation he laughed and said, “This is going to be fun”.  I looked at him with a puzzled expression, and he stated that he had warrants for the defendant’s arrest.  I said, “No, this is a civil matter.”  And yet, “No,” he said, “I have warrants for her arrest.” 

So, we strolled up to the door. The defendant, Ms. Killabrew, opened the door to the police officer.  The officer asked her name, explained that, “Mr. Jackson has papers for you.” After giving her the Citation and Petition, the officer casually asked “Ma’am, is your husband at home to watch the children? You are now under arrest.” … Ms. Killabrew, what were you thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment